This last week I attended the first meeting of one of the local chapters of genealogical society here in Utah. This local chapter hasn't held regular meetings for quite some time now partly due to the lack of interest in it's members and the publicity given it's meeting times and agendas.
Being new to the society and not having attended any other society meetings I was not sure what to expect. I did not know how many people were going to show, especially since it was it's first meeting in about 8 months now, or what kind of structure the meetings were set up with.
Given these circumstances the meeting was in very low attendance and it seems like our chapter is having to start from scratch on organization, leadership, etc. I am looking for some guidance on how some other societies are run, attended, organized, etc. in hopes that I can go back to next months meeting and be able to help give some input on how we can make our chapter better.
These are some of the questions I have been wondering the past couple of days:
- How are people in your local genealogy society involved?
- How often does your society or local chapters meet?
- How is your attendance?
- How do you advertise your meeting agendas and what is going to be taking place?
- Do you use social networking sites? If so, which ones and how?
- What are some of the main concerns your members face when attending meetings?
- How can the chapter help the overall excitement of it's members?
- What do you like best about your society or chapter?
I appreciate any comments or suggestions you are able to give. Thank You!
Ancestry.com Android beginning genealogy Blogs books cemeteries Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints conferences contests creative ideas digitization discoveries documents downloads education Family History Library FamilySearch FHExpo forms genealogical societies genealogy apps genealogy seminar genealogy software graves indexing Mac Family Tree Mac Genealogy Mobile Monday New FamilySearch NGS organization personal histories photos preservation resources SCGS10 social networking sources St. George technology volunteering wallpaper websites Who Do You Think You Are? youth genealogists